Terms of Reference
During the initial contact with the client and the subsequent preliminary problem diagnosis, the student group should be provided enough information to be able to plan the assignment. This is what the client expects at this stage: A TOR (Terms of Reference). It must be determined that what and how the data/information must be collected and what resources are needed? What are the benefits of the successful outcome of the project?
Terms of Reference sets out the scope and purpose of the study or the project. During this phase, you as a client, specify your ideas and requirements, which are then used to formulate a TOR. It covers at least the following elements:
- Background of the project
- The main objectives / tasks
- Specific technical inputs or areas of in-depth investigation
- Methodology to execute project
- Geographic scope and location
- Timeline of activities
- Project outputs or key deliverables (in the form of a report)
- Resources required, both human and financial
TOR must also provide a brief framework of diagnosis phase, design and analysis phase and implementation phase of the project.